Monday, November 5, 2012

Remembrance Day

Remembrance Day is coming up, and I realized that I didn't have any high-quality resources to use in my grade one class.  I decided to make my own packet of resources that would serve to provide a more comprehensive framework for teaching my grade one students about Remembrance Day.

To start off, I recognized that I wouldn't be able to sell any product using the poem, "In Flanders Fields."  I will definitely use "In Flanders Fields" in my teaching to my class, but I decided to additionally write my own poem about Remembrance Day that would be accessible to my students' level of comprehension about the war and what Remembrance Day is all about.

Remembrance Day Poem
(Please note, the poem is partially obstructed for copyright purposes)

I wrote a short version of the poem as well, and I used that to create a pocket chart poem and some printing practice for the students.

Remembrance Day Pocket Chart Poem -excerpt


In addition, there are some colouring pages and a booklet for the students to read and colour.

I'm hoping that these resources will help my students understand the meaning of Remembrance Day and help them to gain a respect for those who died in service to their country.
Preview of Remembrance Day Resources for Primary Students
If you think that your students would benefit from some more Remembrance Day teaching, please head on over to my TpT store and look for my Remembrance Day resources: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Remembrance-Day-Activities-for-Primary-Students


No comments:

Post a Comment