Saturday, January 17, 2015

My Bookshelf- January Week 2

I try to do a lot of read-alouds in my class.  Sometimes they are studied and re-read for comprehension or writing lessons, and sometimes they are simply read for pleasure.
These are some of the books that I read this week.

Polar Slumber- Dennis Rockhill.  If you haven't read this book yet, you MUST!  It is absolutely stunning.  I gather from some reviews that this book began as a wordless picture book, however the version I borrowed from the library does have words.  The story is very imaginative and dreamy.  A child's polar dream comes to life.

Omar on Ice- Maryann Kovalski- I love this book.  It is about a bear (Omar) who gets frustrated while drawing in class.  The other students seem to have no trouble at all.  One friend suggests to Omar that maybe the problem is his pencil's fault.  Later Omar is skating and he is a fantastic skater.  The students realize that his skating has created beautiful designs in the ice and they realize that Omar CAN draw, just with a different kind of "pencil"- his skates!

Snowmen at Night and Snowmen All Year- Caralyn Buehner and Mark Buehner.  These books are so imaginative and fun.  They can lead to fantastic conversations and are perfect for springboards into writing lessons.  

There was a Cold Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow- Lucille Colandro and Jared D Lee.  The students love these books because of the rhyme and repetition.  I always invite the students to join in and chorally read the parts they know.  Of course, the students feel so smart when they predict what the lady is going to "create" with all of the items she swallows.  

The Mitten and The Hat- Jan Brett-  Of course, these books are staples during the winter season.  I love talking with the students about Jan Brett's picture clues in the borders and edges of the pages, and the stories are so fun as well. 

All You Need For A Snowman-  This book is a good lead-in to procedural writing or list making.  

Dream Snow- Eric Carle (Ok, I have to confess, I did not read this book to my students, I read it to my son at home.   But I felt the need to include it in my collage this week because I have read this book at least 10 times this week.  It is beautiful, and my 3.5 year old can practically recite the book on his own. )

I think of all seasonal books, winter books are my favorite of all.  There are so many magical and beautiful books.  And, I always feel like I need more :)



No comments:

Post a Comment